While the Revitalization Act and the Truth in Sentencing Amendment act make changes that appear to be comprehensive, many issues remained outstanding. The TIS Commission limited its proposal to the absolute minimum necessary to comply with the Revitalization Act, leaving a number of important issues for the Council to decide.
- Whether to extend determinate sentencing to all felonies and/or misdemeanors
- Appropriate terms of supervised release
- The treatment of life sentences in a determinate sentencing system;
- What intermediate sanctions are currently available, and whether additional intermediate sanctions should be made available for suitable offenders;
- Whether the Youth Rehabilitation Act remains a viable sentencing alternative for age-eligible offenders; and
- Whether structured sentencing is advisable in the District of Columbia.