General Counsel Vacancy
The DC Sentencing Commission is seeking a General Counsel to serve as the Commission’s chief legal officer. The General Counsel provides legal advice to the Commission and Executive Director, reviews and evaluates all legal and policy issues related to the DC Sentencing Guidelines, designs and implements legal strategies for modification to the Sentencing Guidelines, drafts, reviews, and monitors all agency contracts, agreements and procedures, and assists in reviewing compliance with the Sentencing Guidelines.
• Reviews and evaluates all significant legal and policy initiatives related to the DC Sentencing Guidelines. Reviews and evaluates all litigation against the Commission. Intervenes, as appropriate, in on-going litigation brought by or against the Commission.
• Designs and implements legal strategies for modifications to the Sentencing Guidelines, under the direction of the Executive Director and/or Commission. Reviews various statutes, legal documents and relevant case law to determine whether execution of any proposed actions is in the best interest of the Commission.
• Drafts legislation or prepares reports on changes in basic sentencing structure and Commission related legislation. In drafting or reviewing proposals: analyzes the case law, relevant court decisions; evaluates the facts; determines questions of law or relevant policy decisions; and either recommends adoption of decisions; and either recommends adoption of the decision prepared by another attorney, or drafts a comprehensive decision for consideration.
• Monitoring and supporting the implementation and use of the Sentencing Guidelines and assisting in developing revisions to the Guidelines.
• Drafts, reviews, and monitors all agency contracts, agreements, and procedures.
Other Significant Facts
• Must possess law degree and must either be a member of or eligible for waiver into the District of Columbia Bar within 360 days of appointment.
• The successful candidate should also have excellent legal research and writing skills, including at least three (3) years of criminal trial experience.
• Domicile Requirement- Excepted Service appointees must either be a District resident at the time of their appointment or become a District resident within 180 days of their appointment date.
• Candidates for the position will be subject to a criminal background check.
• Salary Range for this position: $100,000 - $112,000.
To view a full position description and ranking factors – See Attached
Interested applicants should submit resume, cover letter, and ranking factor responses to:
Mia Hebb, Executive Assistant
DC Sentencing Commission
441 4th Street NW, Suite 430S
Washington, DC 20001